Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ah, new shoe smell....

I have to admit, there is just something great about fall. I know fall doesn't officially start until next month, and as much as I love summer, enough to have it last all year, fall is always a fun time in my book. I love taking drives up the canyon when the leaves start to change color, the hint of cool air, the anticipation of Halloween (the greatest holiday ever), or the fact that Rowan is going back to school. I hate to say it, but I'm a sucker for Back to School sales. My inner-nerd (not much different than the outer-nerd) loves buying pens, pencils and notepads, even when I don't need them. Last year, Office Max had a sale on the 24-packs of Crayola crayons. I bought 40 packs? You can't beat crayons that only cost 10 cents! And they weren't even the cheap Rose Art knock-offs, the ones that even though they say 'Non-Toxic' you just don't trust them. CRAYOLA! I gave some away for Halloween and they came in handy when I needed small gifts here and there. I still have 8 packs left! And, there is just something about having brand new notepads, with fresh clean pages that makes me want to be creative. I'm not big into scrapbooking, and kudos to the women that have the time and imagination to do so, but I love to write, about everything and nothing, as some of you may have seen. I've always wanted to write stories, but I noticed a bad pattern. Example "And then, this happened.... And then, he said this..." 'AND THEN...' Like the scene from Dude, Where's My Car. -- So, Fall... Ahh... the excitement of the first day of school. Remember going shopping for new school clothes and supplies? Setting out your coolest outfit for the first day at the end of your bed or draped over a chair? Organizing all of your pencils, notepads and folders in your backpack, as if you were a secret agent with all of the top of the line gadgets. Going to the school the week before and having all the classes posted on the front doors, checking to see which teacher you got, but more importantly, to see if you had any friends in your class. This year Rowan is in 1st Grade! She has a few friends from last year in her class, so she's pretty excited. Last year school was only a half day, since it was Kindergarten, but now, it's all day! (silent mom celebration!) It's obvious, as you can see from my last post, that Rowan is in need of a distraction from her appetite for destruction. jk Anyways, I'm not sure if it's the sales, the new shoe smell, or the idea of all day school, but Hooray for Fall!

No comments:

The little ones...

The little ones...
Rowan and Merrick